Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Your children can have values and morales and not attend church.

My husband and I are Atheist. We do not believe in god at all. Does this mean our children can't no I will support them with whatever decision they make. But I do believe that they can learn morales and values without religion. I believe just because your child goes to church does not make them more morale or even have more values than my children do. Going to church does not make you some saint. Most serial killers in jail went to church. That did not make them less likely to kill did it? Christians did not invent morality or values. To tell you the truth most of the crap in the bible I would not want my children doing or to even be exposed to. Stoning someone to death is not morale in my book. 


What are some of my families Morales and values. Well here is a short list and I guarantee you will find that some might be the same as people that go to church or are religious. This is all being taught at home through personal experience.


1. Education. 
2. Reason
3. Hard work
4. Empathy
5. Compassion
6. Helping your neighbor when you can
7. Trust worthness
8. Listening to others
9. Respect
10. Love for others and yourself
11. Treat people the way you want to be treated
12. And one of the biggest ones Thinking For Yourself! Not believing everything you read or hear Investigating and finding truth for yourself.
13. Being Positive
10. Pride- Working for what you want not taking hand outs when you can be working
11. Thrifty not spending your money on stuff you do not need. Getting used and cheap when it is good in value and can save you money
12. Saving and not overspending. Both Children have savings accounts.
13. Gratefulness
14. Selfless
15. Common Sense
16. Family- What it means and when do turn away because of abuse and mistreatment
17. Using your words not your fist
18. Violence is never ok
19. Throwing things up in someone's face during arguments is wrong and does not solve problems
20. Basic conflict resolution
And I could go on and on. I DOUBT the bible teaches most of this. Actually I have read the bible cover to cover. I KNOW it does not teach half of that.


Why I do not teach my children to go to church. 


I feel every individual needs to make this personal decision for themselves. I believe if you make your child go very young then you are brainwashing them. They are not making their own choice because they were never actually gave one. Every child is a clean slate when born. What you teach them is how they are programmed as an adult. By the time they are old enough they either are much too brain washed to make their own decision or they totally fight against it and make an uneducated decision. I believe a person should be allowed to think for themselves. That is how I am raising my children. I want them to read and take in all the information out there before making their very personal decision. I believe everyone must walk their own path. I do not keep them from religion around Christmas time I give them the story about the virgin birth. As they get older I will ask them what they think about the story. I will give them materials to learn and decide what they think happened. I in no way want them to believe the way I do. Christina made up her own religion for awhile and I totally supported her. She is getting to the age where she cannot be brainwashed and soon she can decide if she would like to go to church. I think 12-13 is a good age to start exploring religion. I want her to explore and decide for herself. If she takes my path great if not well I respect her decision. 


So can my children be morale I have to say yes. They are taught young that actions have consequences. They are taught to own their actions. The only difference for my family and a Christian one is I do not teach them they will suffer eternity in hell if they do not listen to a book. I teach them instead they will go to jail and spend the one life they have very unhappy. I let them be kids and explore. I want them to be who they are going to be. I try to teach them to be a good person to think of others and to above all be true to themselves. My children are very well behaved and Christina has been praised by every teacher she has. Avanelle is still learning the basics but before long she will be in school and I will get wonderful reports about her. I do this all without god. We do not need an imaginary man in the sky to be happy, morale or even successful. We do it on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment