I hate to admit it. I really do. But when it comes to entertainment I am pretty conservative. While I believe in the first amendment I really think that it is our job as parents to protect our children from explicit material. We either need to be monitoring them or not letting them listen, play or watch at all.
My first grip is reality shows. There are way too many of them on the air. I have to admit I watch a few like, Teen Mom, and 16 and pregnant (two of my guilty pleasures). I actually for the most part think that they are ok shows. If anything they bring some dialog into the home about teen pregnancy and sex. I never watch them while my kids are awake because they are far too young for talking about teen pregnancy. If my child was 13 or older I probably would encourage them to watch it so we could later discuss it. I think this show gives an open dialog to parents. Where they might feel uncomfortable talking about it. It even shows how teen relationships are just that teen relationships. They hardly ever end up in marriage or a successful relationship. Also very good examples of what to do and what not to do in a relationship. So overall I think these shows are ok for older teens.
Shows like Bad Girls club is trash! I am sorry but who the hell cares about a bunch of girls partying all the time and getting drunk? I do not want my kids seeing this no matter what age they are. When they buy their own tv set then they are free to watch that trash! Not in my house! If I want to watch drama I will go to my local Walmart or my family reunion. Seriously!
So for me reality shows are hit and miss. It has to be educational and it has to be entertaining. People fighting or getting drunk does not hit either of those for me. One could argue that it could be a good lesson of how not to act. Well for me and my family we know that getting drunk and fighting is wrong. My kids are never exposed to that kind of behavior. My family is full of pregnant teens though. So that lesson is a good one to talk about with my girls.
So now we get to the topic of video games. Yes I gave in and bought Tina a DS for Christmas. But it is limited and she is to do her homework before picking it up. Avanelle has a leapster 2 and it it educational. My girls do not have a Wii or any other system. My husband and I do not stay on a game system all night long. We have nights like library night. Reading is a big activity in my house. And is used for most of the entertainment. My husband and I believe adults are adults. It's okay to have fun and play a game. But being on it 24/ 7 is an addiction. We know far too many adults that would rather play a video game then be with their kids. We would rather have family time then to even own one. Randy is a man not a child and he wants to act like one and I want to be married to one. So rather than put money on something like that we have a summer of fun activities. Money better spent. Children should be doing homework and playing outside when it is nice. Not one a game system.
Music is big in my house. But it too is not without limitations. There are songs that I change the radio if they come on. If they talk about sex or talk about love being sex then it is off my radio. I have two girls that love to sing. The last thing I need is them singing something they have no clue at what it means. I try to stick to songs that are not sexual. I mostly listen to pop and country. But I have been known to get on Pandora and let my girls listen to some jazz classics. i want them to be well rounded when it comes to music. Randy will even turn the station and listen to his music. Once again with limitations. If there is something we want to listen to that may not be for the children , we wait til they are asleep.
I know as you are reading this you probably are thinking that I shelter my children. I know someday they will be other places where some of these things are allowed. I know someday they will be teens and that is the hardest age group to deal with these issues. I just take it one day at a time. if I can stop them from growing up too fast I will. They have tons of time to be an adult. They do not have to start today. The media wants them to grow up. But I am their parent and it is my job to make sure they don't
No comments:
Post a Comment