Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Not for me..... Why fix what is not broken?

I was on cafemom today and people where shoving homeschooling down other people's throat kind of like some people do with religion.Kind of pissed me off til I realized that my daughter is getting the best education for her. She goes to the best school in the county and she is getting everything to needs to succeed. I mean it is not for everyone but I think there are some really big disadvantages of being home schooled. This made me go to my daughter and ask her what she thought. She told me that she loves going to school everyday and it has taught her team work. I was surprised at that response.She also went on to tell me that she gets to meet other kids from different cultures and she learns not to bully other kids. She also loves the fact that she meets other adults and learns things from them. I thought what a very intelligent response from a eight year old I must be doing something right.

Why I do not home school or ever would...
1. My daughter needs socialization and needs to learn to respect other adults. Chances are she is going to have to go work in the outside world and she must learn to tolerate other people and cultures.She needs to learn people have different beliefs and how to deal with them. She also needs to learn to respect other adults. If she is home all the time how will she learn that? How will she learn that I am not the only person in the world that knows things. I think it is good for her to see things and learn things from someone with a different perspective. She needs to learn to deal with peer pressure and make her own decisions. I trust her and I know that with me guiding her she will do fine. Not without mistakes mind you. Everyone makes those though.

2. I need to be away from my children. They need to be away from me. It is healthy to be away from your children when ever possible. I am not saying leave them with someone for weeks on end. I am saying a nice 6 hour break everyday is nice. They need to be with their peers and learn how to deal with social situations.

3. I am not a qualified teacher. I do not know everything. It is nice to have my daughter in a school that has highly qualified teachers that can teach her. I do teach her at home I have since birth. But a teacher knows more about learning and how to teach.

4. I do not like schedules and I am not a person that can stick to things. i would not be a good home teacher. Having the option of doing it when ever would not be motivating for me. In the long run it would hurt my daughter's education. I am better with classroom settings and structure. Hard to have that at home.

5. I do not have the time. I work and I have another daughter. I have to work or we would not have the things we have. Being a stay at home mom is not an option because I like working and the feeling it gives me. I cannot devote every minute of my life to my children. Seriously it would drive me crazy. I like getting out of the house and doing something else. I love the break and the feeling it gives me. I have another purpose besides being a mother. Keeps me emotionally healthy and not depressed. I was depressed when I was a stay a home mom before I refuse to go back there. Plus it is my duty to provide for them.

6. My daughter and I would just butt heads. We are too much alike. Independent and stubborn. We would just argue and never get anything done. She likes things done her way and I like things done my way. Plus she focuses better at school less distractions.

7. My daughters school is working. She is thriving. Why try to fix what is not broken? She is getting challenge materials and I know how she is doing based on the state standards. When you are homeschooling you have no idea how she is doing compared to her peers and the state standards. I get a report every week. I know what she needs to work on and what she is excelling in.

8. I want to be her parent. I don't not want to be the person that totally educates her. Too much responsibility when there are people that went to school to do that. I think homeschooling is a conflict of interest for me. I cannot be a good parent and home school. I will pressure her too much and get inpatient. She is my child. I want her to be the best. I may take it too far. I do not mind teaching her what I know but it is nice for someone else whose job it is to teach to do that for her. That is why I pay taxes.

9. My daughter does not want to be home schooled. She loves getting out and away. She told me that herself.



10. I know what I can do and what I cannot do as a mother. I am not afraid to admit it. I just plain out do not have what it takes to home school. It does not make me a bad mom. It makes me a good mom. I know it will not be beneficial to my children therefor I will not do it. Plus I want to go back to school someday call me selfish but I want a life too. I would like to do what I love to do. I am a person and I have goals and things I want to accomplish. I think a mother has to be a little selfish. I only have one life to live too.

11. Field trips, school activities, fund raisers, assemblies, school dances, and all the other activities that come with being in a public school are beneficial to getting accepted into college. Sure there are some disadvantages but if you parent your children right and have open conversations with them you should be just fine. As far as drugs, teen pregnancy, and peer pressure goes it is a part of life. Something your child needs to learn about. How to deal with real life situations. How to say no. How to fight temptation. l I was a teen mom and it had nothing to do with school and everything to do with not being loved at home. I am not making excuses but I did not have the tools to make the decisions because my mother was never there. I am not that mother and I am not worried about it. My daughter has love she will not need to seek it elsewhere. We have a great relationship and she will come to me. I trust her. I love her.She knows she can tell me anything. She has in the past. She has confided in me and Randy about things. How she is feeling. We have talked to her.



So overall I am never going to home school. Those are my reasons. I love how people do not know your situation and love to judge. None of those people have no clue that I recently open enrolled my daughter in the school she is in after doing hours of research and reading. I know all my options and I choose what is best for my daughter. Not what is best for me. Some people home school because they cannot let go of their children. I feel bad for them. Let your child have a life!! Let them experience things and do things. You have to cut the apron strings at some point. As hard as it was and is I know it was best. My daughter is going to be a great person because of it. Hell both of them will. Well rounded and intelligent. I always put them first. I always will. I can deal with the emotions of them growing up. I am not going to keep them home to keep me company. I have a life, friends, job and other things going on. After they are gone I have goals and ambitions. I am proud of my decision and I stick by it. My child, my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment