As you know I am an atheist. I do not believe in any gods, goddesses, space aliens, magic unicorns, flying spaghetti monsters, or any other imaginary beings. With that said, do not "pray" for me. Not only do I not believe in prayer, I do not believe in wasting time talking to myself.
Here's Why
1. Why would an all powerful "god" change his plan just for you?
2. The whole if you are really good god will do this, just makes me think of someone trying to control the masses. It's kind of like, how you bribe your kids to be good.
3. In Matthew 17:20 Jesus says: For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed,
you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will
move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
Look at the above quote and tell me that makes any type of sense? What about cancer patients that have prayed and died? What did they do wrong to make god want to take them. Don't tell me it's all a part of his master plan because this all perfect god does not have a perfect plan. If he did there would be no hunger, no Aids, no disease, and no other sufferings that this world experiences everyday. What god would make his own creations suffer?
4.There is no scientific Evidence of god or that prayer works. If this incredible phenomenon worked don't you think everyone would believe? I mean all you have to do is have faith and someone grants your wishes. Amazing.
5. Why is your god, better than the gods of the past? People have believed in gods as long as humanity has existed. Yet there is no evidence any of these gods having ever existed. Not only that, but they have "talked" to their gods and have asked things. Once again why is one god better than another? Which one is the "true" god? How do we know that another religion does not have it right?
6. Which god should you pray to? I mean there are so many. Yet another question with a different answer depending on who you speak to.
7. Another problem I have with prayer is a friend of mine actually thinks government assistance is the act of god. Really? She got a whole new stove, fridge, oven for nothing. No it was not god honey, it was everyone around you who pays taxes that paid for stuff you really do not need. Yeah I said it she screwed the system. She has no kids, and she had perfectly good items already in her home. She played the income card and here comes her free stuff. That was not god.That was my tax dollars at work. Prayer was not at work here, she applied for the program, got accepted and here comes the free stuff! No god involved. I know god made everyone blah blah blah so therefore he was involved. Really? Prove it! If you cannot prove it then it did not happen. So thank the government. Not some imaginary being.
8. So if god made me, why do I have to apologize for the way he made me? I mean I like shell fish and mixed blend clothing. I like going to the bathroom and being alive ( original sin). I also love pork. Especially grilled and seasoned. I also really enjoyed all the premarital sex I have had.( I like to test drive things before I buy, this avoids buyer remorse). Did you know being fat is a sin? Yes it is. Write me down for that one.
I am the way I am. I am not going to apologize to someone who has never been proven and has never showed himself to me. Sorry. I do not believe things on just pure faith.
9. Science works and has been proven. Do you go to a preacher when you have a gun shot? Why not? because a doctor has the tools of an education and science to cure you. God is not going to remove the bullet from your body. You cannot just have a preacher pray over you then magically the bullet is gone. Everyone knows the end result if you do that. Death. That proves even christians do not have complete faith.
10. Wishful thinking is a wonderful thing. It's like a drug. Everyone wants good to happen. Everyone wishes for peace and happiness. It's easy to pray when you are at rock bottom and think "prayer worked" when you are suddenly coming back up from a hard time. It's easier to have someone else take responsibility (god) then take the responsibility yourself. It's also easier to believe in something then not to believe in anything. It comforting, in a world of many unknowns. But it is realistic? Really? Think about it. Do you believe in prayer because you actually believe or is it just easy? Do you believe because someone else taught you to believe?
This is why I believe prayer does not work. It's too easy to dismiss science and you can explain it anyway you want and it's just accepted.


No comments:
Post a Comment