Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Messy kids have more fun!

One of my biggest pet peeves is parents that do not let their kids be kids. Most the women I know that are like this actually have their children close to being ocd. They are so afraid to play in the mud or finger paint because they might get dirty! Are you kidding me? Getting messy is the point of being a child! Let your child be a kid! They have tons of time to worry about staining clothing or being clean. Childhood is the time to get dirty and to experience things. 



I guess one thing I took from all the early childhood classes was that children learn better when they are getting messy. At my house we play in flour, wet noodles, water with funnels,dirt, and any other thing I can get my hands on. One of the things I observed in the daycare was how children would stay busy for hours exploring something simple like corn starch or flour. They would feel it and figure out what they could do with it. I took that home with me. Christina was about two. Since then I have used it as part of my parenting. Sensory is just an awesome way to build your child's brain. Randy has build us a sand and water table to do this. We use it often. Especially in the summertime outside. 

I am not trying to sound like I am a better parent because I let my kids get messy. I am sure there are great parents that don't. I am just trying to share my life experience as a parent.I am not better than anyone. I just love writing and sharing about my crazy adventures with my kids. I hope to inspire other parents to stop worrying so much and enjoy their children. If I can get one person to do that I would be so happy. Life is too short to worry about petty things that will not matter in 20 years. If your child ruined some outfit you will not care about that by tomorrow. I promise you. You will have memories of how much fun you had with your child. Your child will then pass it on to their children. Then we will have a whole generation of smart children. Children that are well adjusted and remember such good times with their parents. 

 Well I am off to do some more crazy things with my three year old. We have so much fun. We went for a walk, played with chalk. painted with bubbles (so messy) and now we are playing with funnels and water. We are trying to figure out how to get water from one container to another using our funnels. She is so into it. I love being a mommy! Days like this make me happy. Enjoy your children too. They are not small forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment