I had my first teacher conferance and I have to say that I was very pleased. My daughter is doing great. She is already showing improvement from the beginning of the year. I am so proud. I dont take all the credit though she has a great teacher and a great stepdad. Of course there are areas she needs help in like every child. We will work hard to improve those areas.
On a bad note, Marion City Schools did not get their levy passed. The bad part is that it was old money. They were not asking for new money. I cannot begin to understand why. There are so many reasons why the levy should have passed. First the most important reason. the children. Then you look at Marions economy and it would do so much better if we had some better jobs in Marion. No business wants to move into Marion with these school issues. Also when you look at what public school means we are going to pay for it one way or another thats why its called public. Right now the schools are borrowing from the state and we have to pay that back with interest and when it all is said and done we are going to pay a hell alot more then if we would have passed the levies. I guess its going to take major cuts for people to get it. I disagree on how we get the money for the schools but life is not fair and sometimes you just have to deal with it. I am just ashamed I guess to live in a town where people care more about being right then our childrens education. These small people are going to be running this town someday and if they are not well educated we are going to be in trouble. In my opinion education is the foundation of everything. We teach ignorance then thats what we end up with. I am going to teach my daughter how you cant win every situation and sometimes you have to pick your battles. While I disagree with raising property taxes, I see the big picture and that is my daughter needs an education and money is not all that important when it comes to that.
No comments:
Post a Comment