Religion
A child is not born a christian, Muslim, Jew or even an Atheist. A child is born with the right to decide for themselves. of course it is up to the parents to let them practice that right. I take my children to the secular parents group and the Humanist Community. The good thing about both of these places is that they are not forced or brainwashed to believe in anything. There is a huge value of education and deciding for yourself at these places. Nobody tells my children that they "must" believe in anything. My kids are looked at as individuals that can choose for themselves when the time comes. We encourage thinking and questioning everything. Including Atheism and Humanism. My children are introduced to religion as they get older and can think for themselves. I have books about Christianity and other religions at their exposal. Matter of fact they are encouraged to be education when they make their decisions. I do not want them to think that just because I feel a certain way they must. Or read a book and think it is truth. Nobody knows what the truth is.
Family
Step child, Child from previous relationship, half sister, half brother, and many other variations of labels are not tolerated in my family. I will tell you why. Because it is hurtful and it sends a message that someone does not fit in. I hate when people do this. You are either family or not!! It's simple. It's not the child's fault they are not the bio child of the person you are with. They should not be punished with a label. If they child wants the label then sure fine they made that decision.
So in a nutshell I am basically saying that while we are parents and it is our responsibility to teach our children, it is not our job to tell them who to be. We can guide them and give them resources but in the end the decision is theirs and theirs alone. I will love my children no matter what they decide but I refuse to decide for them. I just want them to take the time to think. A great way to raise free thinking children is have them read and explore ideas. I want my children to not count out any possibility to why we are here and what our purpose on earth is.

No comments:
Post a Comment