Who says a godless heathen like me cannot enjoy Christmas? I mean Christmas was not originally a religious holiday to begin with. (Watch History Channel's unwrapped for details http://www.history.com/topics/christmas) Maybe we do not add religion but it does not mean this time of year is not important to us or special to my family.
We start out the season by putting up our Solstice tree every year. We put our beautiful silver and blue snowflakes. Seems like a great way to celebrate winter. We add our beautiful blue lights inside and out. We put our little balls (silver and blue to match). After that is all done we take our Christmas card pictures.
Of course we do crafts and cook. We made candy, cookies, and other fun recipes We did cornflake wreaths this year.
We sing songs,(secular ones), see Santa, watch movies, and open our presents on the day I chose that works the best. This year is just so happens that the 24th worked the best. I wish we could have done Solstice day but that did not work out.
We always do actual Christmas day at my mother in law. But that is not a religious thing either. Just family getting together.
So we did it! No god involved just family being family. I love my family! We had such a great Solstice. Now for the New Year!
Hoping next year to get more involved with the Humanist group and do more Solstice.
No comments:
Post a Comment